Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Three day week

Solicitor: So, I heard today that you're not staying on here forever. Are you sure you can't make this a permanent arrangement?

Me: Oh no sorry. You see, I'm a writer and I really need to start editing my novel. January is really the longest length of time I can be away from it.

Solicitor: Wow, a writer! That's great that you're following your dream amongst us Diet Coke girls.

Me: *Snort* You're a solicitor! Give yourself some credit.

Solicitor: Well, when you're ready to come back to work please give us a call and we'll sort you out.

Me: Thank you. I'm just so touched that you're going to all this trouble for me.

Solicitor: No problem...hang on. I suppose a three day week wouldn't be suitable...

Me: *hurriedly puts up poker face* Hmm. Actually that could work...

Solicitor: Really? I'd have to talk to the other solicitor and HR, but I'm sure we can sort something out. Leave it with me.

Me: Thank you.

*Leaves office and does an internal "WOOHOO!" at her desk*

12 comments:

Cathy said...

Sounds like a perfect solution. Hope it works out for you.

Cx

jenny said...

That's brilliant! How perfect would that be? All fingers and toes crossed for a suitable work/writing arrangement.

Yvonne said...

Cathy, thank you!

Jen, it would be perfect, in fact it's what I've hoped for from the beginning - but I didn't think I'd be considered for such a flexible arrangement so early on. I am hoping and praying that it works out...

Jen said...

Wow, check you out! Am right chuffed for you... sounds as if things are panning out beautifully.

X

Yvonne said...

Thanks Jen! Keep your fingers crossed - it's by no means a sure thing yet, but it's always nice to be considered.

laurie said...

good lord could things go any better for you???? three days a week? man, that's perfect.

good job!

Alix said...

Fabulous! Things are really going your way, I'm very happy for you - fingers crossed it does work out, seems pretty likely though.

Jenny Beattie said...

Wow, Hellojed, wow: so fabulous. They sound a great firm that really want to keep you, and you are obviously exactly what they want so that you can do both. Woo hoooooo. Keep hold of each other!

JJx

Angie said...

That sounds fabulous, hellojed! I'm keeping my fingers crosssed that it works out. It sounds like a perfect arrangement. :)

Yvonne said...

Laurie thanks a million and fingers crossed!

Alix, things do seem to be coming together at the moment.

JJ, they are a great firm and I'm surprised they've had such bad luck with their staff - I mean, it's not brain surgery!

Angie, it would be perfect but I'm scared to jinx it - we will see. But I'm very excited.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!

Beccy said...

That's great news, I hope it all pans out.