Monday, November 05, 2007

Marketing

A comment from Jen about this post really hit a note with me:

Sounds like this small minority of people are confusing advertising with the actual creative writing process. Which is definitely NOT how it works!
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be the starving writer in the garrett for the rest of my life, but putting a dollar sign on everything goads me something terrible. But I digress. Jen's excellent comment reminded me of the also excellent Bill Hicks and his take on the subject.

Warning: strong language.

1 comments:

jenny said...

:-) I think I've worked with some of those marketeers that Bill's talking about!

There's got to be a certain amount of common sense about this sort of thing - we've all got to put dinner on the table - but it would be nice to think that people sometimes still create stuff (art, writing, poetry, anything!) because they simply have to do it, not solely for the cash. Too idealistic?

The art/money debate is certainly an interesting one...