Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Climate

Only eight days until the Ours and I jet off to Las Vegas, the thought of which has whipped me into a frenzy of shopping, planning and more shopping.

The temperature is in the early twenties there, which in Ireland would trigger a parade of tiny vests and hot pants. (The women wear bikinis.) 25 degrees and up is a heat wave.

So...I've been out shopping for flip flops and beach bags. I don't care how ridiculous I will look to normal climate dwellers - I throw on a t-shirt when it's 15 degrees out like the rest of my countrymen!

Unfortunately ten minutes or more in direct sunlight and I'm an itch of prickly heat. I can't lie on my front because it hurts my back. On my back my arms get sore from holding up the book I'm reading to take my mind of the prickly skin crawl...and I'm inside again to bask in the air conditioning.

Safe to say that I've never had a tan darker than weak tea but 235th time's a charm...

6 comments:

Alix said...

Low 20's sounds wonderful it is minus -2 and raining here - yuck!
Enjoy the holiday shopping.

Yvonne said...

Alix, I can't believe it but it's actually quite nice here considering the time of year - doesn't help you though. Hope you are tucked up safely inside near a heater or roaring fire. Can't beat that!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same - I can take the sunshine for short while (if I'm slathered in factor 50 and wearing a hat) but after that I always retreat to somewhere a bit cooler (preferably with icecream). My husband, on the other hand, would bake in the sunshine like a lizard on a rock, given half the chance...

Have fun shopping for holiday stuff :-)

laurie said...

bring sunscreen! seriously! that desert sun will burn you. (it happened to me when i visited my cousins in Vegas years ago. i've never been so badly fried in my life.)

Yvonne said...

Jen, my boyfriend is great in the sun too and goes brown immediately. Hohum.

Laurie, thanks for the tip and sorry about your bad burn (I remember a bad one myself!) I always use sunscreen but it'll probably only do its job when I'm out walking - cos I'm just not a sunworshipper!

Beccy said...

Oh that heat sounds like bliss to me!