Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Better

Much, much better day today. Writing yesterday's post and talking to The Ours about my fears helped a lot.

I decided to change my schedule for a bit - I'd rewrite a minimum of 500 words in the morning, then do an hour of exercise, then write another 500 words after lunch. I managed 1250 words, which I'm really happy with.

I also have the following text on my desktop in huge font:

"There are a million ways to lose a work day, but not even a single way to get one back."

"What's the worst that can happen?"

"It's better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all."

Those words kept me on the straight and narrow today - instead of going online as soon as I got up I sat down at my laptop and got writing!

(And thank you all for your comments, they are a great help to me!)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I am so glad your doing better today.
Exercise is a good idea it always helps me de-stress and banish the fear demons.
Hope tomorrow goes as smoothly

Suz Broughton said...

Great to hear!

HelenMWalters said...

Oh honey, sorry you had a blip. Sounds like you're back on course though x

Yvonne said...

M&T, thanks! Exercise is doing me good at the moment, definitely.

Suzanne, I'm delighted!

Helen, thanks, I'm doing much better!

Angie said...

Glad to hear you're doing better today.
I might have to borrow your quote for my desk since I've become an expert at procrastinating this week.

Jen said...

Isn't it amazing how we can rediscover that writerly oomph, even after it seems it had gone forever?

Sounds as if your mojo is well and truly back!

Michelle said...

I always liked Samuel Beckett's quote:
'Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'

Yvonne said...

Angie, borrow away! I reckon you can be a procrastinator when you finish your first draft!

Jen, it's madness. I just hope it doesn't leave me again for some time.

Michelle, I love that quote, will have to keep a list of them and swop them at a regular basis!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Yvonne, maintaining motivation day after day is so tricky.

I am really pleased you had a better day. {{{Yvonne}}}}

Anonymous said...

Good for you Yvonne, maintaining motivation day after day is so tricky.

I am really pleased you had a better day. {{{Yvonne}}}}

Karen said...

At the beginning of the year I set myself a ridiculous target of writing 1000 words a day, which I couldn't stick to. Then I felt bad about myself. Better to have a little break, then do what you can, when you can. You'll get there :o)

Yvonne said...

Hullaballoo, thank you so much!

Karen, you're so right. It's when I start piling the word count on that I just pack in completely. I just have to get used to the fact that I'm never going to be able to do this 9-5; it's a couple of bursts of writing with breaks inbetween them.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Such true words. I try to remember that it's better to try and fail than not try in the first place.

Glad to hear you're doing well.